Page banner image

Re: swimiming clothed in a public pool

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael on July 30, 2023 at 07:30:21

In Reply to: swimiming clothed in a public pool posted by wetimer on July 27, 2023 at 23:43:35:

Little kids are a great excuse for their parents getting wet! When my daughter was little, I remember three occasions of unplanned swims which also helped me to act out my feelings about wet clothes in the public. The first encounter turned out a bit weird as we were staying at a kids hotel for the first time and packing with a little kids was new to us. When we booked the hotel I remember reading that the list amenities include a wading pool for the little ones but also mentioned renting out bikes to the parents. Since all the clothes for my daughter already filled our suitcase I decided to pack light and took only my 20 year old 501 cut-offs for sports with me along with a long pant I was wearing on the trip anyway. To our surprise the hotel turned our to feature a full water area including an outdoor and indoor pool with a full length water slide suited not only for kids. I rented a bike as planned and my wife who tool at least her gym outfit with her went to the pool with my daughter. When I came back I found my wife very tired and my daughter enjoying the packed water area. For me the situation was new – I had swum in these jeans so many times in the past including public pools but I always tried to hide away from other guests or life guards. Before I could think about the situation my wife fell asleep at a deck chair and I had the plan (as usual) to sneak into the pool on a remote side - which of course doesn’t work if you attend to a child that wants to roam around all the place. So of course I ended up in the crowd with all the other kids and parents and got numerous comments about my choice of bathing attire – including from my wife. For me it was a strange feeling as for the first time of my life I was not focused on what to wear for swimming but to watch and have fun with my little daughter. We stayed at the hotel for 3 days and we went to the pool area at least twice a day. I still remember the small bathroom we had in our room and my 501 hanging on the shower head… 15 years later I still posses this pair of jeans, good quality lasts forever.
The second encounter was without my wife which made the situation easier for me: I was heading with my daughter to an indoor play ground which turned out to be closed to the public due to a private event. With my daughter crying in the back of the trailer of my bike I quickly decided to stop by a nearby water park that I knew had a large shallow kids wading area. I had only the usual “emergency bag” with a change of clothes for my little girl with me and really didn’t plan to swim myself. I had on my full length of snug fit blue Levis 501 where I couldn’t even roll up my pant’s legs. So I took off my shirt, shoes and socks and even forgot to store my belt in the locker with my daughter dragging me to the pool area - only to found out hat the outside wading area was dry due to maintenance. So I approached the life guard about where to go with my kid. She pointed me to the inside pools which had water cascades and several interconnected pools that were not shallow at all. Even fifteen years later I still remember the conversation with the life guard who quickly noticed that we didn’t plan the swim at all. As she was on duty alone this day she pointed out that I had to watch my kid myself - which is the norm here in Germany anyway. I still remember that we didn’t speak about me having no swimwear, she only pointed us to the shower area and even gave me a sample with shower gel. So staying dry was not an option any more and we both had a blast this late morning. Unlike at the kids hotels mentioned above other parents (all moms) came and went with no one even commenting my choice of swimwear. Going down the full-length- slide turned out to be challenge though as I was skilled in lifting up my butt in the slides whenever wearing clothing made of cotton – which is quite difficult with full length-jeans and a child on your lap...

The third encounter was kind of sad – we spend a sunny Sunday afternoon outside and ended up in a café some 20km away from home where I overheard a conversation on a table next to us that the nearby water park (“Alpamare” in case some remember) was closing for good and entry was free that last day of operation. I had many good memories about this place as first it was a really good (I think the first ever build water park in Germany) and second it had a really liberal clothing policy – I usually went there with my various kinds of shorts and never received any remarks or complaints. My wife was opting out, but my daughter and me went to this place a final time. I had on the same full-length jeans as mentioned above, no one said a word and it was kind of a sad atmosphere on a bright and warm afternoon. In the evening the restaurant gave out food for free and I still remember sitting on the heated tiled benches inside the restaurant with my damp jeans and enjoying the 80s feeling one last time.

Next week I will be heading with my family to the US for summer vacation – first time after 20 years to the place where I lived many years in the late 90s. That time swimming with jeans shorts was quite common, but from at the information and (pool) policies I gather I can just as well leave my cut-off 501 at home.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]