Page banner image

Poisonous Snakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on January 13, 2024 at 01:59:03

One of my facebook friends who lives in one of the western states where they have rattlesnakes shared a post about rattlesnakes that had been sent to him. The original post came from Texas where apparently there has been a rattlesnake population explosion. The original poster had killed a total of 57 of them in one week and told of a woman who had been bitten twice by the same snake and ultimately faces loss of her foot and possibly her lower leg. The interesting, and rather frightening, thing about these snakes was that none of them gave their warning rattle. They just coiled and struck. When talking to other people he found that this was a common trend that they had encountered also. One possible explanation given was that Texas is also plagued by wild hogs and wild hogs eat snakes, and that rattlesnakes no longer "rattle" for fear of attracting these potential predators to them. This may be part of an evolutionary process where the rattle may eventually disappear altogether. So for those of you traipsing around in search of places to get wet and muddy in areas of the country where rattlesnakes live you may want to use some extra caution and keep an eye out.

Living in Maine this has never been a problem for me. I grew up thinking we had no poisonous snakes here and hence nothing to worry about. Have never given it a second thought. I know there used to be timber rattlers here but thought they had left long ago. Now I have been hearing they are making a comeback and also read that copperheads have made an appearance. That really shocked me, but given global warming and climate change I guess it shouldn't be surprising that they would be moving north along with many other species of birds and animals not typically associated with this part of the world. Needless to say I am less than thrilled about the snakes and will definitely be a bit more cautious now in my wacky wet adventures. I'm truly thankful to have had all these years free of such worry. No reports of any alligators here yet, but maybe someday.

So if any venomous snake bites me I will have the last laugh because I will poison them right back - with food poisoning!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]