Page banner image

Beach Volleyball

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mega on September 14, 2023 at 22:13:00

Thought I'd share an old story on here. It's one I've shared before, but that was quite a long time ago. For reference, this takes place during my 3rd or 4th year in college, a year or two after the time I first got my clothes soaked in the rain and liked it.

So at the start of the school year, first weekend of classes, the college had this event that took place off campus at a nearby beach, while the weather was still nice. There were games, food, and music. My usual friends were either still moving in, had other plans, or didn't want to go. The school had a shuttle bus that was going back and forth between the campus and the beach every 30 minutes or so. I didn't feel like driving, and didn't really know how to get there, so I just took the bus. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this, and unusual for me, I didn't have a real plan other than go to this event and see what happens.

So I get there and start walking around, and very quickly 3 people invite me to play some volleyball with them in the sand. I agree since I liked volleyball and was hoping for something like this to happen. The game was quite close and competitive, and went on for a while. After the game was over the other 3 decided to split pretty quickly and do other things, one went to get food, and the two others left to head back to campus.

It was a very warm and sunny day, and after that volleyball in the sand, I found a water fountain for a drink of water, but was still really warm. So I decided to walk out into the water and cool off a bit. I found a spot to leave my shoes and socks, and I took out my room key, the only thing in my pockets, just in case something happened I didn't want it getting lost in the water, but I wasn't planning on getting my clothes soaked, being aways from the campus and no dry clothes or towel with me. This left me wearing some knee length black basketball shorts that were kinda thick, and a grey t-shirt. The water at this beach only gets knee deep until you go way way out. I figured the ends of my basketball shorts might get a little wet, but I was ok with that.

There were lots of people at this event. Looking out into the water, I noticed a group gathered in a circle hitting a volleyball around. I noticed some people leaving and others joining in, so it appeared to be open to whoever wanted to join them. There were about 6-10 people in the circle at any given point in time. I'm introverted, so I'm not one to walk into a group of people I don't know and ask to join them, but if people ask me first, then I'm fine. The water out there with the group was knee deep. So I planned to walk out there near the group and hope they would ask me if I wanted to join, otherwise I just wander around in the water aimlessly like a weirdo. Fortunately, it didn't take long because before I even came close to walking by the group, they spotted me and asked if I wanted to join.

So they weren't playing any organized game or anything, just hitting the volleyball back and forth to others in the circle, just keeping it going as long as they could. This was the perfect way for me to stand in the water and stay cool, but still get to do something with a group and not feel weird being by myself. There was a mix of guys and girls in the group, most just wearing swimwear, some guys had basketball shorts too, though I was the only guy wearing a shirt. That didn't bother me though, as by this point in my life my back started getting sunburned easily, and I had a nasty sunburn incident a year or two prior.

I must have been out there about 10-15 minutes as we hit the ball back and forth. A lot of the people were diving to hit the volleyball to keep it going. There were a couple times the ball came in kind of my direction, and a few of the people were chanting "Dive! Dive!" The other guy closest to me on the left would end up trying to run and dive to hit the ball, sometimes successful, sometimes just ending up in the water, though I couldn't help but feel like some of those dive chants were directed to me. There were good amounts of equal participation, and everyone was friendly. I hit the ball when it came in my direction, most of the time.

People were constantly rotating in and out of the group. At one point a couple came up and asked if they could join. One guy a few spots away from me said, "Sure, there's just one rule. You have to dive for it if it comes near you." I was a bit surprised as it was the first I'd heard of this. "We have to dive for it?" I asked for clarification. "Yeah, just go for it," came his response. Well, I wasn't planning on getting that wet, just the ends of my shorts from standing in the water. Now I was in an awkward introverted spot. I didn't want to leave without diving and staying dry and seeming afraid to get wet, but I didn't want to stay with the group and not dive for the ball if possible, as that would be kinda disrespectful to the group and this rule I'm now hearing about. So I decided that if the ball came in my direction and I couldn't reach it just by normal running/walking like I had been all along, then I would dive for it.

Well, a couple minutes later, the volleyball got hit really high in the air and started coming toward my direction. I started running for it, well, running as best as you could in knee deep water. I realized I was not going to make it to the ball in time just running, so I put my arms out and jumped forward to cover as much distance as I could. I did manage to contact the ball, just as I landed belly first in the water. I was instantly soaked head to toe, and for a moment couldn't believe actually did that. When I stood up, everyone was cheering and clapping for me. That's not the sort of attention I'm used to getting in groups, but it was pretty nice. That was also the only time the group did that for anyone diving in the water for the ball, probably because I was the only one fully clothed. The water felt great, even though I wasn't initially intending on getting soaked. My soaked shirt became a darker shade of grey as it stuck to my body, and my shorts felt great and comfortable being soaked. I probably stayed with the group another 15-20 minutes, and made more dives in the water when appropriate, though they didn't cheer anymore when I did it, probably since I was already soaked and diving in it again didn't change that. All in all, I had a great time at the event, especially for going into it with no set plan or ideas of what would happen.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]