Page banner image

Sea cadets swim test

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wetchas on March 20, 2024 at 14:30:06

Hello everybody.
I have been asked by some parents about the upcoming Water Safety test, which all Cadets have to take annually.
I thought it might be helpful, especially to parents of new cadets to go through the requirements with you.
Firstly, the Water Safety test is just that. It is not a swimming test, that is a different badge altogether, and will be taken later in the year in a warm pool. The Safety test is designed to get Cadets familiar with falling out of a boat, and ending up in the drink. It's aim is to get Cadets used to being in cold water fully clothed and with a boyouncy aid. The requirements for the test are as follows
1. Jump or slide off the pontoon into the water.
2. Swim 25 metres.
3 Climb out with assistance if needed.
Whilst the requirement is to swim 25 metres, there is no stipulation as to how this is done. Many Cadets find that lying on their backs and kicking themselves along works well. Others use good old fashioned 'doggy paddle'. There are always a couple of senior Cadets in the water as well and they will help others cover the distance. Also, when they find that the boyancy aid keeps them afloat they loose the fear of sinking.

It's not a race, and it's not finely measured, so please don't let your child be worried or anxious. Just to reassure you - in 12 years I gave never known a cadet fail.

Clothing required for the test.
The official Sea Cadets almanack lists the requirement as 'boating clothing'. This is open to interpretation and has led different units to come up with their own versions. Ours is as follows.
1. Swimwear trunks or shorts for boys. One pice swimsuit for girls- no bikinis.
2 Tracksuit bottoms or other long trousers and T shirt. Girls may wear leggings if they wish. A wetsuit may be worn in place of this layer.
3. Jumper or sweatshirt, or hoodie or tracksuit jacket.
4. Wet suit shoes or trainers.

Clothing hints and tips.
Ideally the tracksuit bottoms should be the thin polyester kind. Thicker cotton joggers can get very heavy when wet but are acceptable. Please no pyjama bottoms, jeans, or heavy combat trousers

No sliders, wellies, or boots please. An old pair of school shoes are fine as long as they have a soft sole.

On the subject of school clothes I have had a couple of parents ask of these are allowed. Their thinking is that the child has worn the clothes all day and they are now due a wash. I am quite happy with this, both for the test and normal boating activities. Work smarter not harder so the saying goes.

The time and date of the test will announced next week. Cadets are to arrive at the unit ready to take the plunge. Hot showers will be available afterwards, and a hot drink supplied.
Obviously Cadets need to bring a complete change of clothes a towel. Plus of course a bin liner or bag for the wet gear.

Thank you. Cpl Parsons.

Hello everybody.
I have been asked by some parents about the upcoming Water Safety test, which all Cadets have to take annually.
I thought it might be helpful, especially to parents of new cadets to go through the requirements with you.
Firstly, the Water Safety test is just that. It is not a swimming test, that is a different badge altogether, and will be taken later in the year in a warm pool. The Safety test is designed to get Cadets familiar with falling out of a boat, and ending up in the drink. It's aim is to get Cadets used to being in cold water fully clothed and with a boyouncy aid. The requirements for the test are as follows
2. Swim 25 metres.
Whilst the requirement is to swim 25 metres, there is no stipulation as to how this is done. Many Cadets find that lying on their backs and kicking themselves along works well. Others use good old fashioned 'doggy paddle'. There are always a couple of senior Cadets in the water as well and they will help others cover the distance. Also, when they find that the boyancy aid keeps them afloat they loose the fear of sinking.

It's not a race, and it's not finely measured, so please don't let your child be worried or anxious. Just to reassure you - in 12 years I gave never known a cadet fail.

The official Sea Cadets almanack lists the requirement as 'boating clothing'. This is open to interpretation and has led different units to come up with their own versions. Ours is as follows.
2 Tracksuit bottoms or other long trousers and T shirt. Girls may wear leggings if they wish. A wetsuit may be worn in place of this layer.

Clothing hints and tips.
Ideally the tracksuit bottoms should be the thin polyester kind. Thicker cotton joggers can get very heavy when wet but are acceptable. Please no pyjama bottoms, jeans, or heavy combat trousers

No sliders, wellies, or boots please. An old pair of school shoes are fine as long as they have a soft sole.

On the subject of school clothes I have had a couple of parents ask of these are allowed. Their thinking is that the child has worn the clothes all day and they are now due a wash. I am quite happy with this, both for the test and normal boating activities. Work smarter not harder so the saying goes.

The time and date of the test will announced next week. Cadets are to arrive at the unit ready to take the plunge. Hot showers will be available afterwards, and a hot drink supplied.
Obviously Cadets need to bring a complete change of clothes a towel. Plus of course a bin liner or bag for the wet gear.

Thank you. Cpl Parsons.

Hello everybody.
2. Swim 25 metres.

Clothing hints and tips.

Thank you. Cpl Parsons.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]