Page banner image

Re: Polar Plunge

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kmf on October 27, 2023 at 01:51:14

In Reply to: Polar Plunge posted by Pete on October 26, 2023 at 00:51:10:

I've done two of them in my life. The first time I horribly underestimated just how cold it would be. I was better prepared the 2nd time around, but it was still unpleasantly cold. As far as clothes go, I'd suggest making sure that whatever you wear in the water, that you can strip out of it quickly. Once you get out of the water, you'll scurry to a warming/changing station, and you'll want to get out of your wet clothes as fast as you can. Bring warm clothes to change into, I'd suggest heavy sweat shirt and sweat pants and winter socks. Bring more than one towel, if you have long hair, you'll want to dry it out real good so it doesn't freeze. Definitely wear shoes since the ground will be cold and slippery (I went barefoot the first time I did it, and that was a huge mistake.) Bring warm but loose-fitting shoes/boots to change into, since your feet will probably be numb and feel like rubber when you're trying to put your socks/shoes back on. When I did it, they had lots of coffee/hot chocolate/hot soup and other stuff, and definitely take advantage of that. If they don't provide that, bring some of your own. If you have someone with you who can get your car warmed up, definitely have them do that before you get in.

The first time I did it, I was with some friends, one of whom had a hot tub, so we went back to his house and warmed up in that. The second time I was with my then-girlfriend, and we just went back home and took a hot shower. Either way, it took a good while for me to feel "normal" again - my hands and feet actually swelled up from the cold, that was probably the weirdest part.

I did it for a fundraiser, and it was for a good cause and everything, but if I'm being honest, next time it comes up, I'll probably just mail in a check. I'll sit in a dunk tank all day every day in the summer - but jumping in an icy lake just isn't a fun time. Not trying to discourage you -I made a mistake thinking it would be just like being in a dunk tank filled with ice water, but its really not. Its legit COLD and you definitely need to be realistic about it and be prepared. Just my opinion from my one experience, so maybe someone else will have a different idea.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]