Page banner image

Lumberjack Show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mega on September 20, 2023 at 02:25:31

Ok, so this past Saturday we went to an apple/harvest festival. My wife (just married a few weeks ago btw) has been wanting to go to some sort of fall festival and do a variety of activities. After looking around for something, we came across this particular fair, that a least had some of the things on her checklist. It was located about two and a half hours away. It's been cool in the mornings, but it's been getting up to the low 70's in the afternoon. This particular day was mostly cloudy, but still comfortable. So I wore blue jeans and an olive green t-shirt. I took along a jacket, but ended up leaving it in the car as I was fine without it when we got there.

So this festival was located in a downtown area, where they blocked off a couple blocks to vehicle traffic. There were lots of vendors selling all sorts of things with tents set up all down the street. There was a central plaza area that was set up with a big tent for kids games, a couple food trucks, and two different areas for shows that were taking place throughout the day, including music, a magician show, and another area that was hosting a lumberjack show. From there was a wooden ramp area leading down to a big grassy area below, which had a petting zoo, and lots of inflatables for kids. After checking out the petting zoo and the vendors, we went and had lunch at a restaurant along the festival block. From there we went to the magician show at 1pm, and the lumberjack show at 2pm, so it worked out really perfect having the shows and their seating close to each other.

So at the lumberjack show, there was a big tank set up in the middle of the area, filled with water and it had a big log floating in it. The log was mostly covered by a couple patches of carpet that was wrapped around the log. The whole tank was about chest high, maybe not quite that tall. In front of the tank were a few logs set up for various activities, and off to one side was a wooden bullseye target. The show was led by 2 older guys wearing blue jeans and grey t-shirts with the logo of the lumberjack show on it. They started with some chainsaw carving, axe throwing using that bullseye target, and did some sawing competitions with the other logs that were set up, mixed in with some of their humor.

The tank with water and floating log was the only thing they hadn't used in the show yet, as it was meant for their final activity, log rolling. "Who's ready to see someone get wet?" The main host said, getting some applause and cheers from the crowd of about 100-125 people. "Ok, so is there anyone out there that wants to try some log rolling? Who wants to volunteer for this?" I didn't know they'd be taking volunteers for this, and it involved water, so count me in. I raised my hand hoping to get picked.

Side note, I know I've described myself as an introvert, which I am, but I do like volunteering for these types of shows/events and getting in front of crowds. When I was younger I avoided this sort of stuff, and after getting older, feel like I've missed out on some opportunities to do some fun/unique things you don't normally get to do. One example would be the pep rally water balloon game if some of you remember that story I shared a while back. So I make it a point to volunteer for stuff at these shows/events. If I don't get picked, so be it, but at least I won't feel like I missed out on something that I could have been picked for. I have gotten to be a part of some cool things like throwing swords at a juggler as he catches them out of the air and adds them to his juggling. (I had also trying volunteering for that previous magic show a few times when he asked for volunteers, but didn't get picked).

Anyways, I raised my hand for the log rolling, not sure if I'd get picked, but the host quickly pointed at me to come up. Well, guess I get to try out log rolling after all. I stood up and decided it would be best to empty my pockets, so I gave my stuff to my wife to hang on to, then walked up to the center of the show area. The host was trying to encourage someone else to volunteer, and a kid about 10 years old decided to try it too. The host had us take our shoes and socks off and made sure our pockets were empty. He had the kid try it first, saying "we'll save the bigger and better splash for last." The kid was wearing some khaki cargo shorts and a red t-shirt. Meanwhile, the other lumberjack held the log in place in the water, putting the log diagonal to the corner of the tank. The main host told the kid to walk out to the far side of the log, which ended up in the middle of the tank. The host gave instructions on how to balance your arms and to take short quick steps. Then the other guy let go of the log and the kid started (or tried to) walk on the log as it was floating in the water. He didn't last too long before falling in, landing on his feet. The water was about knee deep, well, my knee deep. For this kid, that meant a little past his knees, so the bottom half of his shorts were in the water. He grabbed his shoes and went back to his seat. I was hoping he would have gotten more soaked.

Well, now it was my turn to go up and get on the log. Walking out to the end of the log floating in the water was a little tricky in itself, but I have decent balance. I followed the host's instructions about how to balance my arms and take short quick steps. Balancing on the log itself wasn't a big issue for me. There was one small part of the log you can actually stand on and not fall either forwards or backwards. That wasn't too bad until I started taking a couple steps and the log started turning. I took probably about 4-5 steps before the combination of the rotating log and small place to actually remain balanced was too much for me, and I fell forward off into the water. I would not have been able to land on my feet if I tried, so I fell in and ended up sitting in the water, my jeans instantly flooded, the water soaking my shirt up to my chest. I stood up smiling and laughing about it as the crowd cheered. The host said, "With a splash like that he should try again." Well, I'm already wet, so why not? I got back up on the log and made my way out to the far end again. This time I tried a different strategy, switching between a few steps forward, then a few steps backward to try and counteract the log as it rolled. It did work, sort of. I just ended up taking too many steps back and fell backwards, landing butt first and making a bigger splash that soaked the rest of my shirt and hair. The host had everyone give me another round of applause for volunteering as I exited the tank and grabbed my shoes and went back to my seat.

The water temp was about the same as the air, so it wasn't too cold. My soaked jeans and shirt were dripping as I watched the rest of the show from my seat. I wrang out the bottom of my jeans a few times the best I could, as I discussed with my wife how we were going to handle this after the show. Meanwhile, the main host got on the log to demonstrate log rolling. He lasted a lot longer than me or the kid did. When the host fell though, he landed with the log in between both legs, then the log rolled and he fell into the water, getting his jeans and grey shirt as soaked as I was. He must have landed that way on purpose as part of the show, because after trying log rolling twice, I don't see a way you could land that way without trying.

So after the show ended we decided to walk a couple laps around the vendor area as a way for me to dry out a bit before heading back to the car. By this point my jeans had pretty much stopped dripping, but they were still soaked of course. It felt great walking around in wet jeans, been a while since I've been able to do that. I was nervous about if people would comment or ask questions and what I'd say, but that never happened. By the time we got back to the car, my shirt was basically dry besides the bottom section that was touching my jeans. I took the jacket that I left in the car that morning and laid it out on the seat to sit on as I drove us home. I did start to feel a little cold two thirds of the way back home, but it was all well worth it. When we got home the front of my jeans along the legs had completely dried, but the backs of the legs and everywhere around the waist was still very wet, and somehow the wetness wet up the back of my shirt a bit too. All in all, that was a fun day, and both of our favorite parts was me doing the log rolling.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]