Page banner image

I spotted the missing dog

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on January 23, 2023 at 06:49:24

The stretch of the alley with the bulk of the weeds was behind a block wall facing northeast, so it didn't get a whole lot of sunlight this past week. This kept the ground muddy, and I was able to keep making good progress even after the rain stopped. It may have looked a bit strange going into work with mud on the knees of my overalls and my boots, but a furnace room isn't a very clean place, and nobody said anything. I finally finished it all Saturday afternoon.

Well there's no rain in the forecast now. The jet stream is still pointed at us, but it's shifted direction, and it's coming out of the Nevada desert, so it's not an atmospheric river any more. It's just blowing cool air, so we're having a bit of a "cold snap." Today was partly cloudy with a temperature range of 39° to 60°, and this coming week we're expecting clear weather with a slow warming trend.

I figured I'd hike part of the west segment of Reach 11 and see if I could get some more trail repair in and enjoy some remnant mud. There were some good mud puddles left on the south trail but not many elsewhere. I did find a few holes in the trail I hadn't noticed before and could fill them with the shovel.

After back tracking along the trail past the Highway 51 overpass, I crossed the mesquite thicket, thinking to work on the north side by the equestrian center. I was sitting on the bank of an arroyo drinking from my canteen when I beheld two men and a dog approach. I arose, and they kept going, so I headed east to see about trail holes. As I proceeded I heard them both calling some name I couldn't quite make out. They said, "We're looking for a dog."

I pointed to the dog that was with them and said, "It's right there."

The older man said (I found later they were father and son), "No, there's a second dog. She's dark brown."

They'd have done better to turn around, for soon after that going east I saw such a dog. I headed back and called out to them. They heard and approached. I said I'd leave the trail to avoid spooking the other dog. They passed me.

I then saw them all re-united and found a mud puddle in which to stomp. After stomping I said, "You know there is a dedicated off-leash dog park in this complex."

The father said, "It's all right. We come here every day. She always comes back." It must be tiresome trying to track down the same wandering dog every day. Then again maybe they think it's tiresome going through all those mud puddles.

There wasn't much more mud on the north side of the thickets, and I figure there won't be much left on the south trail next weekend. There is the hope there might be some left on the state trust land, particularly at coyote central. I may go there for mud wading and wallowing next weekend. I think I'm through with trail maintenance though. I retired my camp shovel to the metal frame back pack. The mud hike knapsack is just for water and PowerAde for now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]