Page banner image

Re: Muddy in football kit.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on June 07, 2020 at 23:21:38

In Reply to: Re: Muddy in football kit. posted by John C on June 07, 2020 at 16:20:43:

State law here allows corporal punishment of children, but I don't know of any school that still uses it, nor did I in my youth. I went to a Catholic elementary school in the 1970's, and they had done away with it. There was one incident in which the football coach provoked some laughter when he misspoke and said, "State law still allows us to use CAPITAL punishment on you." A classmate whose father was a lawyer corrected him.

There also wasn't any punishment for being left-handed, though some of my teachers were frustrated that my writing wasn't neat from either hand. Apparently in the mid-20th Century it was very different. My mountain climbing partner blames "Northern Hemisphere penguins" for his being ambidextrous.

My father went to Catholic School in the 1930's and 1940's, and he didn't say anything about right-handedness being enforced, but he did say that he got the ruler to the hand for a number of offenses. He also said that if it happened, the last thing he would do was complain about it at home, as my grandfather had a policy that if he said, "A nun hit me," he would get out his belt and flog him with that to emphasize that the nuns were always right.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]