Page banner image

Leap (into the mud) Day

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on March 01, 2020 at 13:12:55

February had an extra day this year, and it was a day I didn't have to work, so I decided to observe Leap Day by leaping into the mud. Naturally I always recommend looking before you leap, and with mud one should probe what obstacles and debris may be in it first. Last Saturday we got an inch of rain, and my previous account states what I did in it at the Reach 11 Recreation Area, so I decided to return to the scene of the grime in hopes of some remnant mud.

I wanted to get the cardio workout out of the way before getting plastered. In retrospect I think this was a misjudgment as it was nearly 80°F, and I went through my water supply faster than I need have as a result.

I headed down the main trail first. I was disappointed that almost all of the mud puddles from last Saturday had disappeared already, but the weather has been warm, and the sunshine has been getting stronger as we approach the equinox. I made sure to splash through those mud puddles I could find. I did see something rather disturbing. A log was partly obstructing the trail, and I removed it, but next to the trail was a pile of ashes, a partly charred log and three spent fire extinguishers. I suppose if we must have unauthorized campfires, it's nice that they brought along the means to extinguish it, but they should also have removed their fire extinguishers when done. Apart from that the scenery was good. There was plenty of green grass everywhere, so it hardly looked like a desert anymore.

I headed west to the construction area, and that was a disappointment too. The mud hole that had been thigh deep last Saturday was barely damp. The other mud hole where I had been stuck had been covered over with gravel. Well I suppose construction crews often have an agenda that doesn't always mesh with that of mud enthusiasts.

I turned back and once I crossed the Highway 51 underpass, I left the main trail and headed through the mesquite thicket to an alternate trail and to the torn up area by the equestrian center.

A lot of the mud holes there were completely dry or almost dry, but at length I did find some suitable places. I found one mud hole large enough for my whole body and fairly deep. I walked through it and churned it up well, kicking the mud on the sides into it with my boots and mixing it up with the water. I probed carefully for rocks, sticks and other debris. I then got out and took my Leap Day leap into the mud hole. I then "slipped" backward on my backside and back, rolled to the side and on my belly, rolled again onto the back, grabbed some mud and splashed it on my hat. The mud felt perfect--not cold but cool enough to be refreshing.

I got up and walked around laboriously with my overalls and shirt heavy with the thick clay mud, and I stomped in more mud holes as the mud dried and flaked off, finally heading back to my car as the sun was setting, having spent 4½ hours there.

My wardrobe was the same as last Saturday with one exception. I decided to try wearing my gaiters with cowboy boots instead of work boots. I wasn't sure how this would work, as I'm sure the gaiters weren't designed for that style of boot. It turns out it worked very well, almost too well. When I disrobed in my back yard, I was shocked to find that my socks were partly clean and dry despite the rest of me having been soaked and muddy. The gaiters had definitely kept debris out of my boots.

Thus ends the month that almost nobody on the radio can pronounce. Now that it's March, I hope to do some marching through more mud before it becomes too hot and dry for that.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]