Page banner image

Rugby game for Sport Relief

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie on February 05, 2020 at 10:28:05

My mate Rob and I came up with a wizard wheeze for getting Kayne muddy in his school uniform. Sport Relief happens this year between the 9th and 13th March and we were talking about how to raise some money among our friends and class-mates. We were chatting to our PE teacher Mr. D. after rugby last Thursday and he suggested a fancy dress rugby match as it had been done before at school. He told us that the pitch we normally use ("the worst one; it matches your standard of play!" he remarked) was due to be dug up, have drainage put in and be re-seeded over the half-term break in a couple of weeks time. Mr. D. said he would have a word with the groundsmen and ask if they could make it more interesting to play on with plenty of mud and water, he thought they would enjoy the challenge.

Yesterday morning Mr. D. told us that the groundsmen had agreed to transform the pitch and that we could use the pitch on Tuesday 11th for our planned match. He suggested that we distribute fund raising forms and advised that consent forms from parents might be a good idea if we were asking guys to wear their own clothes rather than sports kit. When I said we were thinking of one side being in school uniform, he burst out laughing and suggested that the consent form be essential in that case, adding "Good luck with that!". So we drew up a short set of rules, a fund raising form and consent form and handed them out after rugby yesterday afternoon.

From our initial soundings among the other guys it seemed about half were happy to play a game of 'mud rugby' in their uniform and the others would rather opt for fancy dress - whatever bizarre clothes they could find - so our idea of one team in uniform would work well. We drew up a provisional team lists and included Kayne in with the uniforms, we then told him it was a fait accompli and that the non-uniform team was fully accounted for.

This morning before school I sought out one of the groundsmen, Ken, that I know (he did some private work at home during the holidays once) and asked him what they would do to the pitch as we wanted it as muddy as possible. He said they would take off the turf then dig up the soil below to the depth required to lay the drains but leave the earth in place before watering it thoroughly until it looked water-logged and then just drive a tractor around until it was all churned up. He reckoned the mud would be at 7 or 8 inches deep, "Plenty enough to get everyone completely covered during their first tackle." Ken grinned. I'm really looking forward to next Tuesday.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]