Page banner image

Re: an earthworm and a mule team

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on February 04, 2020 at 09:09:22

In Reply to: Re: an earthworm and a mule team posted by Zonie on February 04, 2020 at 06:17:57:

Shetlands are extremely strong despite their small size. They were used in mines in Britain to haul coal from deep down inside the mine shaft to the top, especially after child labor laws prohibited children from going into the mines and doing the same thing. Their small size meant they could easily fit in the small tight spaces and their strength allowed them to haul heavier loads, increasing production. Many of these ponies actually lived inside the mines the majority of their lives and never saw the light of day. Many became blind. They were referred to as Pit Ponies. I remember watching a movie about a blind Pit Pony who led a bunch of trapped miners to safety after a mine collapse. The miners couldn't find the escape tunnel, but the pony, who had traversed all the tunnels numerous times, knew exactly where it was. I believe it was a true story and the pony was given an award for heroism. Eventually the use of Pit Ponies was stopped by animal welfare groups.

Miniature horses, which are even smaller than Shetlands can pull an adult easily in a cart as well. My parents bought a Shetland pony for my oldest brother. Her name was Kit and she used to come up on the back porch and "knock" on the kitchen door with her front hoof until somebody wouold let her in and give her a treat.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]