Page banner image

Re: Cold weather misery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wetnboy on December 09, 2023 at 15:42:36

In Reply to: Cold weather misery posted by Pete on December 05, 2023 at 02:00:45:

Yeah Petey, just try that warm shower!

Enjoyed the story.

I've vacationed in the Rockies many times in the summer hiking up in the mountains. Two very memorable occasions I recall the 'summer' weather changing quickly and getting very cold and rainy.

Once it started to sleet like you describe and my friend and I had to continue hiking down getting to the trail head where the Nat Park Bus picked you up and we were 'Frozen'. Carefully driving down from there on the bus we saw sleet had accumulated to about 6 inches deep on everything except the road fortunately which had enough heat in it to melt the sleet.

The other time was just a few years ago and I hiked down a mountain in a cold and getting colder rain with my hands going numb and being completely soaked thru - wearing jeans and t-shirt (it was warm when I started out) along with a pullover nylon water resistant wind resistant jacket. I recall getting in the car and putting the heat on high - the windows fogged between the temp difference and the humidity and I sat there for 45 mins running the engine and heat warming up - slowly being able to flex my fingers.

These are not 'fun', but both times I went back to the hotel and hopped into a warm shower in my wet clothes (took off the hiking boots so I could hike in them the next day).

Mountains create their own weather and it can brew up quickly.

Thanks for sharing the story!

Wetnboy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]