Page banner image

Re: Swimming in 2 umbrella dresses and getting wet in the rain :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on July 08, 2023 at 22:52:16

In Reply to: Re: Swimming in 2 umbrella dresses and getting wet in the rain :) posted by Muddywet on July 08, 2023 at 22:24:32:

Sometimes one-size-fits-all guidelines can be problematic. During my brief career with NWS I was stationed in Austin. One day the forecast office in New Braunfels had predicted that for Austin the following afternoon would have a combination of 40°C and 40% relative humidity. I was from Phoenix, and we very often had 40°C, but when we did the relative humidity was almost always much lower than that, so it made sense to me that the federal guideline chart indicated that a heat advisory should be issued. My Texan overlord forbade it, saying, "Everybody knows it's hot."

I said, "But surely if there are Yankee tourists they must be warned."

He said, "Forget that! If it wadn't for air conditioning, we wouldn't have any G-- d--- Yankees down here."

I definitely prefer the winter though. If I have an issue with hypothermia it's almost always after I've stopped hiking and am driving home. Keeping moving is the key. I did learn the hard way that mudding and overnight backpacking in the high country are a bad mixture. When getting up in the morning I couldn't feel my toes, and when I got back to Phoenix I found it was superficial frostbite. The discolored skin came off in the swimming pool two weeks later though.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]