Page banner image

Another Polar Dip? YES!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on April 01, 2023 at 00:25:39

Did another polar dip today and put strong emphasis on the word "dip". It was probably the quickest dip I have ever done!

The dip was in the Ossipee River in the town of Effingham, New Hampshire. It's the first time I have participated in this particular dip and probably the last. I was not impressed with the venue at all. The dip was put on by a conservation group at their offices beside the river. Proceeds go towards the purchase and maintenance of an aquifer for water purification. This is supposedly the fifth year for this particular event but the first time I had ever heard about it was last week and I thought I would go and check it out. I wasn't sure I would participate but went prepared just in case.

I was rather surprised the event was being held on a weekday rather than on a Saturday or Sunday as those days are conducive to drawing larger crowds, but when I saw the venue I understood why. It was very small! For starters there was no beach. It was just a tiny clearing on the bank of the river that had a slope leading down to the water. There were about twenty people who actually took the plunge and we were all crowded on this little patch of land that would not have accomodated many more.And the water itself was a bit freaky being high and running very fast. There was white water for a long stretch down the river with a small pool of quiet water where we did the dip but dippers were warned not to go out too far and get caught in the current. Every other dip I have gone to there have always been emergency personnel dressed in cold water gear in the water to rescue anyone who needed assistance, but here there were two guys, both fully clothed, each holding a single life preserver attached to a rope. One stood at one end of the clearing and one at the other end. I didn't have much faith that their rescue efforts would be all that effective.

Despite my concerns I registered for the dip but said I might not go in. I wanted to see how other people fared first and if any went floating off down the river. Because the area was so small dippers either went in one or two at a time. All the dippers were from surrounding towns in New Hampshire except me. I was the only participant from Maine and the only one fully clothed. I had on my typical gear of brown boots, belt and hat; fairly new Lee bootcut jeans, medium blue denim shirt. striped tie and dark blue wool suitcoat.They decided to have the dippers go into the water by towns. The announcer called off the names of surrounding towns and each person gave their names before going into the water. I was one of the last people to go in as I was not one of the locals. So I went in stopping to announce my name and town and said I was wearing my special bathing suit just for the occasion. I waded out, not going far being leery of the current, and sat down so that the water came up to my neck and soaked all my clothes, but I didn't soak my head at all. My stay in the water was brief. Air temperature was around 44 degrees and water temp was 38. I came out and wrapped myself in a blanket, but it really wasn't that bad as we were sheltered from the wind. They did have a place inside for people to go warm up post dip but I headed straight for home and a hot shower.

Despite all the things I didn't like about this particular dip all the people were super friendly. They seemed to like the fact I went in fully clothed and I strongly suspect I was the first to have ever done so. Maybe it will be an inspiration to some of the dippers next year. They had two video cameras going and a drone flying around taking pictures so I have to look to see if they have been posted yet.

To sum it up it was fun and I am glad I took part but this particular dip was definitely not on my list of favorites not one I think I will do again.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]