Page banner image

Another Polar Plunge

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on February 18, 2023 at 21:00:46

Today was the annual polar plunge for the animal shelter that I help support. Have been watching the weather reports all week and debating whether to go and participate or not. Today was nice and sunny with temps in the mid 30s. I decided to go and sign up and make a donation but as I told the staff at the registration table I might not actually jump.

In the end I decided that I would jump. I think the determining factor was that there was no wind. Plus I ran into some people I know who really wanted me to jump in. It really wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be and I managed to go all the way under. There was a good crowd and I was told that about 145 people had signed up to do the plunge. While all the money had not come in yet at the time of the jump they had raised around $27,000. I decided to go cowboy all the way (what else?) with brown boots and spurs, Levi 501s, brown fringed chaps, blue denim shirt, Levi jean jacket, blue neckerchief and brown cowboy hat. Because of the small beach area and the large amount of people spectating and jumping, we did the plunge in groups of about 10 people. I was in group 8 with a total of 15 groups in all. Plunging with me were a husband and wife dressed up as red Maine lobsters, a couple dressed in Hawaiian shirts with leis and shorts and everyone else in just regular swimwear. Some people were dressed as bananas and the very first group to take the plunge were all dressed up like Dalmation dogs so they were very easy to spot. Sorry, just couldn't help myself!

So on the way home I stopped at the boat ramp where I hang out during the summer and there had been a second polar dip there today to benefit a summer camp for disabled kids. It too was all over and I spoke to two guys who were cleaning up. Apparently from what they said it was not as successful as it had been in the past, and they sounded a bit disappointed. But with the two plunges competing on the same day it was only to be expected. Normally they try to schedule on different days but there was a glitch in the planning this year. So I headed home and jumped in a hot shower with all my gear on - a nice way to end a really good day.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]