Page banner image

"Rocking" the Boats

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on June 12, 2022 at 23:10:21

My recent visits to the lake and boat ramp have not provided much opportunity to assist boaters in getting their boats on and off their trailers. The water right now is high and boats have been floating on and off trailers with ease. Plus on the whole the number of people out boating this year seems to be considerably less than in the past. Usually on a Sunday morning there would be a constant stream of boats lined up waiting their turn to get out on the lake starting very early and lasting all day. This morning when I arrived there was hardly anyone there. Things began to pick up around noon but it was no where as chaotic as in the past.

I said the water is high making boats float right off and on the trailers without requiring assistance from me. However this morning that worked to my advantage. I was walking on the dock checking on each side for any foreign objects that had fallen in the water that I might go in and retrieve. It's amazing the stuff that people drop or that falls off boats and trailers. Today there was nothing. But while I was out there on the dock a guy backs in with a rather large black and white boat and backs down the ramp into the water rather quickly. He has not tied any ropes to the boat at all, thinking his wife will be able to grab it and hold it next to the dock while he goes and parks. Wrong assumption! When he hits the brakes the boat immediately glides off the trailer and rapidly floats backwards just tantalizing beyond arms length and none of us can reach it. This is a job for LeviLovR!! I jump off the dock, corral the boat and push it up next to the dock. Success! The boat is captured and I am wet. Even the water, while still a bit chilly, was warmer than I expected. It was a good start. Than another boat backs in and
refuses to back off the trailer. Actually it was rather comical because the man on the dock holding the ropes was trying with all his might to pull the boat back off the trailer and it just didn't work. The expression on his face was priceless because he actually moved the bow of the boat from side to side easily in an attempt to dislodge the back end, but no go. I suspected what was causing the problem but said nothing and waded in to verify my suspicions. Yes, my diagnosis was correct - they had forgotten to remove the straps on the back of the boat holding it on the trailer. An easy fix and one of the two most common problems I see at the boat ramp, the other being people forget to put in the plug before launching their craft and water comes rushing in. Let's face it - boating is a sink or swim world.

There was a moment when there was a cluster of boats waiting at the dock and one gentleman was blocked from moving his boat forward to put it back on his trailer. He also had backed the trailer in at an angle to avoid hitting boats lined up at the dock and there was no way it could be loaded without getting in the water so I offered to pull it around the other boats and helped him guide it onto the trailer. And so it went. It felt good to be a useful participant again and not just a spectator.

My ensamble consisted of two tone cowboy boots - light brown on the bottom and dark brown on top; a relatively new pair of vintage indigo Lee jeans (they felt and looked awesome wet); brown belt; medium blue denim shirt; light blue striped tie; light brown leather vest and a light brown old cowboy hat that is on it's last legs but keeps hanging in there.

From the lake I went to the river for a couple more dips before heading home into the shower. It was a really nice day and very much needed and appreciated due to personal circumstances.

Hope you all had a great wacky wet weekend!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]