Page banner image

Re: Running Tights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wetjumper on January 31, 2022 at 01:08:54

In Reply to: Running Tights posted by Mark on January 30, 2022 at 18:21:07:

Running tights make very good swimwear - they're rather like ankle-length Speedos but more comfortable. I started swimming in running tights (plain black ones, no lining) in a local pool when the heating had a fault making the water a few degrees cooler than it should have been. I was having trouble with cramp in my leg muscles when wearing approved swimshorts, so my swimming coach suggested I should wear either a 3mm wetsuit (this didn't appeal to me) or "long trunks" and maybe a sweatshirt. I tried wearing cheap nylon/Lycra running tights and found them comfortable, adequately decent on their own when in good condition, and very helpful to stop me getting cramp (thanks to the added warmth and the compression effect on my leg muscles). The sweatshirt was less successful as its sleeves tended to twist, but I found a clingy acrylic sleeveless sweater worked very well with the running tights as a "modest" and warm swimming costume which is just about within the pool's rules - no-one has ever objected, and it means I'm swimming in a "wet jumper"! I swim better in this outfit than in swimshorts. It's probably the closest I can get to wearing ordinary clothes in the pool.

I found the thin running tights were gradually attacked by pool chemicals so they became limp and translucent around the central seam in the groin area after a year or so of weekly sessions, tending to look a bit indecent. I then tried "warm" running tights which have a thin fleece layer inside - these feel warmer and more substantial, the slightly thicker material is less revealing of the shapes inside, and they survive exposure to pool chemicals for much longer. They're great in the water, and I've also found I like sleeping in them...

Try them - you may like them, and they're likely to be completely OK at most indoor pools and outdoor facilities. No need for shorts over them!

Peter (wetjumper)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]